Thursday, October 2, 2008

Posters Process

My website's been properly updated with pictures, contacts, and a link to this blog. I'm glad I'm done sweating over its design so I can just chill and read books as part of my study shindig.


Taking a cue from one of the awesome folks in class, here was the process of my last three posters from the 10.01.08 design class.


The first drawing started as a quick airplane sketch about three weeks ago, when I went to Colorado to attend my Grandpa's 80th.



I started toying with the design and altered it overall, going for an Art Nouveau / Alphonse Mucha look last Monday.



While it doesn't show very well scanned, the speech bubble is cut completely out so when you hang it on the wall, you see the wall peaking through the hole. So she literally has nothing to say.


I didn't like it totally, and the critique today helped me realize why it wasn't very strong. The upper hair tendrils guide the eye off the page, so its a bit of a distraction.


I took it under photoshop and edited it a bit. I got rid of her upper hair trails, so it helps keep the eye more involved with the picture.



The second image, I'm especially proud of. I took an old unfinished inking of mine from two years ago and completed it into its final form.



The cacti's name is Senorita.

There's a story involving the cacti :: My boyfriend and I went camping this summer and came across two cacti in Fred Meyer's. He named his Jerome and I named mine Lola. They had a lovely relationship. Jerome was three years old, a Pisces, and wanted to be an astronaut. Lola spoke Spanish so she had little to say. Later, we found out Lola's pretty yellow flower was plastic and hot-glued to her head. Lola was actually a Larry. Jerome was confused and heartbroken that his girlfriend turned out to be his boyfriend, and since then they departed ways.

Lola stays with me. Jerome is at Calarts with McKenzie.


The last picture was also inspired by a rough sketch when I visited Calarts about a month ago.



I'm not as pleased with it and I didn't know why. The critique helped me understand that the composition and directions were too obvious/forced. There's no way I can repair it, but I like the idea of the image nonetheless.



And there you have it. I'll update more as I go along!

No comments:

Followers